Monday, July 15, 2013

Trickle Down

Last week, Darrell's hospice nurse, Kathy instructed mom on how to ween Darrell from the steroids.  On Saturday, Mom said he'd been much, much less nasty.  During our visit, he slept a lot.  Whether or not I should place blame on the steroids or Darrell's natural thoughts, I do not know.  I have always beleived that no matter what sort of drugs a person is on, there is a bit of that person's mind still alive and active.  Although I've never been under the influence of hard drugs, save for a week on Vicoten while recovered from dry socket after a wisdom tooth extraction.  I slept mostly that whole week.

I can't speak for the future.  I do not know what will happen.  I hope for Darrell to go peacefully, comfortably.  Maybe he'll slip into a coma as Kathy once suggested.  Maybe he'll have a heart attack and go suddenly and very quickly.

Mom told me he certainly will not be visiting his estranged wife anymore.  She will not drive him there.  After the last visit Darrell was unnaturally wired, if you get my meaning.  Mom said she will not take him anymore.  He needs to be home, she's says, inside and comfortable.  In other words, he will not be getting into anymore meth on her watch and she's sounding pretty firm on this one for a chance.  Poor mom just doesn't know exactly how to recognize the signs of this stuff.  Shawn & I have both worked with people who were on meth and so we both educated her a bit.

As for the drinking, well I am sure about how much he's drinking.  I know Mike's Hard Cider is in the fridge.  And I know Darrell calls them Sissy Drinks, meaning there's not much alcohol int hem, however he never was a happy drunk.  Ever.  I'll have to get with mom on that one.  Not sure he's drank much since his last visit with Amy, who is notorious for getting him super drunk (and angry--because he's drunk) and jkust dropping him off at Mom's house.  That may have come to an end.

Like I said, he's like a gigantic three year old.  You can't tell him anything.  ANd he'll argue with you until one of you is out of breath.  We'll see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment