Sunday, May 16, 2010

More PC Garbage

I was able to obtain an enclosure for my old XP hard drive. It seems to be just fine.  Except for one thing.  Well, a few things, really.

I had spent hours making a video made from scenes of that old TV show, Titus.  It was set to Puddle of Mudd's "Psycho" and was perfect!  It was hilarious and matched to the music perfectly, scene by scene.  It was pulled from YouTube long ago because Warner Bros. had a hissy fit over my using the song "Psycho" but I never cared because I had it safely tucked away in my hard drive.

Or so so I thought.  I cannot find it.  I spent two or three hours looking into each folder of the drive, I ran search after search.  It isn't there.  Did I burn it to a disc?  Not sure.  I have a stash of DVDs of videos I had made.  Hadn't checked it yet.

The handful of photos that were on my PC--gone.

I also had dozens of Word documents.  Short stories, neat little things, recipes, things I had written.  Also, gone.  Cannot find them anywhere.

I have spent much time emailing people, visting forums, etc.  No one can really help me with this.

I also have an external hard drive, for storage.  It's 20gb monster with ALL of my photos--every photo I've taken in eight years.  And every CD we've ever owned and resold, is contained within that drive.  So, as you can only imagine, I was quite nervous to plug it in.

Ureka!  I was able to view all my photos, all my music is present!  Whoppie!  We have The New Testament on CD and I had been ripping it and putting it on my MP3 player to listen to at work--you know how I've complained about how boring my job is.  It's wonderful to have something different to listen to and it helps pass the time.  I cannot fit the entire New Testament of The Bible on my 1gb memory card so I figured I stow the ripped discs on my external drive so I wouldn't have to continuously rip the CDs over & over. 

Naturally, if you been following along, you know this can't be an easy task.  I had a nightmare trying to get the PC to recognize the drive again.  It will not accept anything new, no matter what it is.  The drive was no where near the old XP when lightening struck, so I have no idea what is going on.  After another full week of messing with this tupid device, I've decided that I'll just get another that will work with stupid Windows 7 and Windows Media Player whatever-version-it-is.

Given all this, I had been pretty upbeat until the last few days.  I hit a wall and fell hard.  I spent most of yesterday crying and today, my eyes are STILL swollen.  Gonna take an extended break from all of this hard drive business. 

I'm a PC.  And my brain is fried.

No comments:

Post a Comment