Sunday, May 16, 2010

The PC Fried....My brain is fried

About three weeks ago (?) a thunderstorm hit us and the power went out for about two hours.  That power outage resulted in the deep frying of my computer.  I changed out the power box--whatever it's called--and nothing.  I returned it to the store.  Since changing the power supply does nothing, this means the mother board is fried.  Many local PC repair folks told me so over the phone.

Bugger.

I bought a new PC which doesn't come with Windows XP, of course, because everything electronic changes and needs to be "enhanced" aporximately every fifteen seconds in this world.  Even today, I am still learning where everything is on the Brand New To Me Windows 7.  Although I must say it is easier to navigate than had been told to me about Windows Vista (*shutter*)

About a day or two after setting up the new PC, the monitor went out.  Bugger again!  I quickly switched out the monitor with a 1987 Special, forty pound reserve monitor I had int he back room.  Just in case, you see.  That too went out within 24 hours. 

My boss had two dinosaur monitors he didn't need, so I took one and brought it home.  The next day, Shawn insisted we buy a new flat screen model.  Sigh.  Naturally, that turned out to be an all day event.  New monitor in place...guess what happened the next day?  Sure.  You guessed right.  No pictured when I turned it on.  For some reason, Divine Intervention, perhaps, it occurred to me to turn off the brand-new-just-bought power strip before I turned on the PC.  This is something I had to do whenever there was no picture.  Had to turn it off somehow.

I noticed that without touching the power strip, the computer didn't beep.  That morning, before I touched ANYTHING at all, I switched off the power and turned it on again.  I turned on the PC, the monitor, and sat back, holding my breath.  It beeped!!!!!  I had my computer staring right back at me from the new monitor!!!

This was all within a week.  Within that week, I was exhausted, staying up late to get everything set up, researching what I needed to pull info from my old XP hard drive, etc, etc, boring, blah, blah.  As it turns out, one night I was trying to get the cat out of the house, so I filled her bowl outside with dry cat food.  This trick always works at bed time.  I went to put the container of cat food away and simply placed it into the refrigerator.  Oh, double sigh!

This week had not been a good one.  Ten minuets after I arrived at work one day, I ripped my jeans right down the front leg.  And wouldn't you know it?  Shawn had been in school so I hadn't shaved in like a decade.  I couldn't hide the fact that I had Wookie legs.

At some point, I had dumped solvent-based sizing all over my shoe and had to walk around barefoot until my shoe aired out so it wouldn't turn my skin to a Hazard Level 3.  And....you really do not want to be walking around barefoot at work.  Trust me on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment