Friday, November 25, 2011

Tick Tock

Christopher Titus is a stand up comedian whose mother was schizophrenic.  There's evidence that such a disease is hereditary and can manifest itself within the child well into adulthood.  "Tick, Tock!" Titus says.  "Crazy's comin'!!"  As if there's some sort of timer counting down tot he exact moment when it hits.

I know the feeling.

Shawn got a small used oven for his powder coating and showed up at my job to pick me up.  Then his truck would not start.  We placed the oven inside the building and I attempted to back the work place delivery van back into place.  It would not start.  My boss, a coworker & Shawn all stuck their hands under the hood.

My boss' truck was still running as he was going to take Shawn & me home.  "Allan," I called out.  "Do you want me to shut off your truck?"
"NO!!"  It's the only thing running!" Allan hollered.
"Don't touch it!" Shawn screamed (with a smile).  I'd already had a running gag that everything that went wrong was because I had touched it.  I had used Patti's cell phone a few days earlier and then it wouldn't work.  Because I touched it.

Shawn's brother-in-law helped out with replacing a starter.  In the back of my mind was the $450 we had just spent on Shawn's truck 2 weeks ago.

Tick, tock.

Shawn had thought he had the computer issue figured out.  He spent the entire morning watching the instructional DVD that came with the PlasmaCAM.  I attempted to recreate was on the DVD.  Understand first that in the DVD, the computer being used in the example is from 1998, quite literally.  The computer we are using was purchased a few weeks ago in the year 2011.  This is the manual you receive with the purchase of a $7000 machine.  I suppose they cannot spring for an update, what with the economy and all.

The menus in the BIOS configuration or whatever, simply did not exist and I was running out Friday.  What computer repair place is going to make a service call on a Saturday?

Tick, tock.

Our super trustworthy mechanic has a Jeep Cherokee that the owner had surrendered due to lack of payment for repairs.  However the mechanic had closed the shop for the day after Thanksgiving.  What a great time to be without a car!

The weekend is a terrible time to need computer repairs, to be without a car, and just sucks in general.

Tick, tock.

Maybe crazy has already come & I just haven't realized it yet.  After all, crazy people don't know they're crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment