Thursday, February 24, 2011

Steroids & Weight Gain?

When I last went to doctor, she put me on Asmanex which should help repair my lungs and the asthma.  As a result, I have not used my inhaler in 3 weeks!  But then something occured to me....Asmanex has steroids in it.  The Albuterol has steroids in it.

My sister was placed on steroids for various reasons.  Her weight ballooned and she once told me she has just accepted this is the way she's going to be.  Well, I'll not have that!  SOmething snapped in me over the weekend.  I told myself, OK self!  I'm off the e-cig, it's time to start on the belly problem.  I began late last week, setting my alarm clock 10 minuets earlier.  Each morning I put in a hard 10 minuets on the elliptical.  Every day I promise to do more, even a leisurely pace once I get home from work, but I've been so exhausted I can barely function.

For example, today I began with 3.5 cups of coffee, a Crystal Light energy drink, 2 caffinated sodas and STILL felt ready to take a nap at any moment.  Oh, I do not leave out water.  My rule is on 20 oz bottle of water between each drink.  I haven't been sleeping well & that may be due to using the Asmanex.  A small price to pay for being able to breathe.

I was bound and determined to begin eating better foods.  Shawn seems a little concerned when I cook a big meal & do not eat with him, but I am sure he can live with that.  Most days I have a bowl of veggies, a big salad and a bag of popcorn.

At work, I usually eat a 300 calorie sandwich made with whole grain bread & miracle whip and a baked sweet potato made only with Cavender's seasoning (no butter).  I discovered whole grain crackers (Kashi, $2.68 at Wal-Mart) which are not really too bad when crumpled over a big green leaf lettuce salad.  7 crackers packs a whopping 4 grams of fiber & it's just a satisfying as croutons.  I also sprinkle on parmasean cheese, pepper and a little garlic.  And of course ranch dressing; you got ta let me have something here.

When I make chicken for supper or brown rice, I'll have some.  Or if the whole meal is kinda fatty & Shawn is wanting mac & cheese, I'll have a little mac & cheese, but nothing else.

And yes, I NEED my sweets so I've been having a Fiber One chewy bar or a Kellogg's fiber bar and yes, it's just like a candy bar.  SO sweet, but very little sugar.

Who knows if I"ll stick with it this time.  I am being positive about it though.  The morning 10 minuets of exercise is almost easy and I never have a problem with eating a huge bowl of green beans!  We'll see how this works out.  I refuse to get fat again and I really, really, really, want to lose my belly jiggle, more than anything!!

My current advice to anyone else is to experiment and find healthy foods you love.  If you cannot control yourself around a certain food, refuse to let it in the house. (As in, if your right eye offends you--pluck it out!)  Buy your family snacks they love but only if you hate it. 
If you hate nuts, buy cookies full of nuts.  Mint, if you hate mint.  You get the idea.

Also, here's something I read a while ago.  Have fat.  Have sugar.  But not together.  If the food has fat AND sugar, do not eat it.  The writer explained why this makes perfectly good sense but I have lost the article.  It's something to think about, anyway.  The mere thought makes me want cake!  HA HA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment