Sunday, February 13, 2011

Deliverance?

I sent this email to many friends & posting to the forum today:

Dear friends,
I was putting off this email because I was a little ashamed.  I have been spending a lot of time with God, in the word and asking everyone I know to pray for me to quit this nicotine addiction. 

First of all, I'd like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your prayers, encouragement and kind words.  Saturday was a little rough (just ask my husband!).  Sometime in the evening, I noticed two pieces of nicotine gum on the bathroom counter.  Not sure why I didn't notice them earlier, or why I hadn't put them away, but I gave in.  Today, I've been chewing nicotine gum all day.

I was ashamed of this, embarrassed, depressed and I'll admit, a little angry at God because others seem to get zapped instantly and delivered.  And the thought came into my mind that I know of so many Christians who smoked for years & years and are now quit, but hooked on nicotine gum or lozenge.  But this is not about them, I told myself. 

However, I do believe I have had a breakthrough.  When I quit smoking a year ago, I went to the electronic cigarette and held it in my hand for just about every minuet of the day.  I never thought I'd be able to put it down for good.  When I first started asking for people to pray for me, the e-cig began burning my throat.  That just never happens!  Near the end of this past week, I could barely inhale from it; it made me feel like I was suffocating.

By Friday, I was gladly chewing gum because my e-cig was so intolerable.  Here is my breakthough.  Today, I was cleaning out my purse, removing the e-cig spare parts that I always carry, putting away my main device into a drawer and I did not even have the slightest temptation to use it.

For over a year that gadget has been glued to my hand.  My doctor was urging me to quit because we are not sure yet if I have emphysema.  I credit all this to your prayers and to God, who in a way, did "zap" me and delivered me from inhaling more harmful substances.  I know I can jump this gum hurdle too.  I don't know of God's plan for me, of His timing, but I am thankful He has given me friends like you and for actually showing me the power of prayer.

I'm not sure that I ever truly believed in the power of prayer.  I'd been praying to quit smoking since I was 20 years old.  Now I have seen and felt what it can do.  I have decided that instead of being ashamed, I can proud that God delivered me from another harmful inhalation and that in His time and with prayer, He will deliver me from the drug completely.

I thank you all for everything!
Your sister in Christ,
Misty

No comments:

Post a Comment