Thursday, August 11, 2011

That's So Gay

A while back there was a commercial that played on TV where a girl would look at someone's ugly earrings (or something to that effect) and say, "That's so gay."  The girl was reprimanded by an onlooker and said something to the effect of, "What if I said, 'That's so girl with the pink skirt?'"  Then the ad would on and on about how we should all stop and think about what we say.

I was recently watching an old stand-up routine in which the comedian admitted to being bad about saying things like "That's retarded" and "That's gay".  And to quote him, "How else am I supposed to describe a fanny pack?"

Good point.  Ok, obviously we say LOTS of things that are vulgar and hideous, let alone to offend an entire community.  Personally I hate the term fagot MUCH more than saying That's So Gay.  I never heard anyone use that term to describe someone's ugly blouse.  I have heard and have used it myself to describe something a bit girlish being done or worn by a man.  (Like a fanny pack or eye shadow)

Someone paid money to put this on TV.  No one is concerned about the term "tubby" or "fatty", "throws like a girl" (and thousands of other words meant to bring women down) or the N-Word and so on and so forth (you could write pages of mere words).  Whoever paid for this ad was concerned enough about one silly phrase, however was not concerned enough about offending the king of the universe!

We respect the Creator of our lives so much that we gave Him a last name:  Dammit.  How sick am I of hearing this!!!!  There's no commercial advertising on TV about this one, that's for sure.  We use it as an exclamation (Oh my God!) as a complaint when we drop something (Oh GAWD!) as a means to curse (I dropped the godda---- bowl!) and most recently I heard a man on TV exclaim, "OH my fu--ing God!"

Yeah.  So why don't we think about we say?

No comments:

Post a Comment