Sunday, December 25, 2011

What A Terrible World

It's Christmas morning.  I flipped on the TV for background noise while I played with the puppy.  A new commercial for The Human Society came on.  A boxer with a disfigured face was shown.  His face was mutilated from years of dog fights.  A cow was seen being pushed over with a fork lift.  A horse that was forced to starve was shown.  I have seen skinny horses before, but never one so pitifully thin.

The first images made me cringe but when the video of the cow being pushed with a fork lift was shown, I began to bawl.  My tears fell on the puppy in my lap and she stood up on my leg and began to furiously lick my jaw.  I just sat there and cried.

I hate this world, I thought.  Why are we allowed to go on and live?  If you look around, the cruel out number the humane.  The greedy seem to out number the generous.  If you don't believe me, visit a mall or a mega retailer two days before Christmas.  We shoot each other over sneakers and pepper spray each other over a sale.  A sale!  You have a weapon so use it to take what you want instead of inflicting pain unnecessarily.  Don't shoot someone so you can buy sneakers.  Use the gun as a threat and just take the darn sneakers!

In the newspaper I read of a four year old that was beaten to death.  His body had various stages of healing bruises.  I read about a baby girl--a baby!--that was sexually assaulted and left with a broken pelvis.

Why are we allowed to live?  Such a beautiful world, destroyed by humanity.  Crushed by the ugly human spirit.  Why doesn't God destroy it now?  Honestly, I don't want to be here if things get much worse.  I get so angry when I see & read about these things.  I cry because there's nothing--NOTHING--I can do to change things.  People are still cruel.  Disgusting men still assault tiny babies and beat children, allow animals to starve.

My hands shake with anger and also with pure frustration because I sit here and can do nothing about it. 

Why does God wait so long for things to get so bad?  How much worse is He going to allow us to act before bringing down His fist?

No comments:

Post a Comment