Monday, June 25, 2012

Credit Where Credit is Due

One day I told Shawn very calmly, "You're personal maid had quit.  She ran out into the street screaming.  So would you mind to throw out your Pepsi cans, ashtrays, and whiskey glasses?"

And I have to say Shawn really has been trying to pick up after himself.  The next morning I walked into the office.  This is a shared space but when I walk in, all I see is uncontrolled chaos.  Is there a controlled sort?  I dunno, it sounded good at the moment.  There is trash, stacks of papers, notebooks, scraps of papers, ashes, ashes, ashes, about a million Pepsi cans, half full (because the bottom is half is apparently, undrinkable) a full ashtray, tools, wires and all sorts of other miscellaneous things and items.

It stresses me out.

So the following morning I walked into the office and saw.....  A desk.  There was a desk under all that chaos!  He had picked up every scrap of paper, can and miscellaneous item and put it....somewhere.  Who cares where he put it all!  I could lay out my notebook onto the desk!

I left a very nice note for him, thanking him for the clean up.  It really changed my mood and attitude for the entire day!

The following week, the area of our living room that had somehow become a dumping ground for his projects had been touched by magic.  You see, Shawn's workshop is the garage.  It is also, the living room, den, office, front yard and back yard.  I come home to relax and sit amongst anxiety and stress.  My sould craves organization and neatness!!!!

So I walk in with groceries and the table where we eat--we have not eaten there for a year because it is filled with projects--was...it was...dare I tell?  YOU COULD SEE IT!  The cheap vinyl table cloth was 100% visible!  And the cheap built in hutch was empty!  Every scrap of metal, wire, tool, and box was gone.  IT WAS JUST GONE!!!

Shawn came home.  "Did you see the living room?" he asked slyly.
"Yeah," I answered.
"Do ya like it?"
"Yeah."

So I decided I would ask a few things.
I began by asking, "Did you see the toilet?"
"Yeah."
"And the tub?"
"Yeah."
"Did you see the trash can?"
"Yeah."
"And the laundry?"

And so on.  I swear, guys do one little thing they ought to be doing anyway and expect such great praise.  Where's my trophy for cleaning the toilet?  Do I get a cookie for running the vacuum?  Where's my great applause for picking up the groceries?  Huh?!

A friend of mine had actually talked her man into doing some light housework because she would be gone for a while.  While she was visiting her sister, the man texted her every 5 to 7 minuets to let her know he had done a chore.

I TOOK OUT THE TRASH
I SWEPT KITCHEN
I WIPED COUNTER

And so on.  This went on for a couple of hours.  When my friend was done with her visit, she stopped off at the local trophy store and had a special plaque made for her man.

HA HA!!  Surely you knew I was kidding about that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment