Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Power of Brown Rice

I think my earlier binge on potato chips is a perfect example of:
Have fat.  Have sugar.  But not together.

I probably would not have felt any worse if I'd eaten half a cake.  Deep fried white potatoes; of course I felt extra lousy the next day!  What was I thinking?  (I was thinking the store was out of my cheese flavored popcorn AGAIN and other people get to eat what their little hearts desire....)

Yesterday I had brown rice that I had prepared the night before.  I took 3/4 a cup of rice, added 1 1/2 cups water, covered the bowl with foil and baked at 375 for one hour.
I added pesto, garlic, pepper.

When I was able to sit & eat, a coworker joined me with his BBQ chicken and began to chat as though it were a lovely Sunday afternoon.  As we chatted, I ate my rice slowly, talking in between bites.  Next thing I knew, my little Gladware container was empty!  I only meant to eat half!

I was pretty stuffed.  I wasn't so full that I wanted to roll over and nap.  I was able to finish the work day and grab some groceries on the way home.  Once home, I didn't eat at all!  I felt a little hungry so I had a few Kashi crackers in my ranch yogurt concoction (see next post).  Later, even though I was not hungry, I ate a salad made of romaine lettuce.

The brown rice not only made me stuffed, but it pretty much kept me stuffed.  This is all coming from someone who ate nothing but packaged foods, Rice-a-Roni, chips, packaged cookies...a junk food junkie!  Imagine that.

No comments:

Post a Comment