Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Why Of It All

For me it's important to understand the "why" of everything.  I'm a figure-er-outter for sure.  I've been using only egg whites for a while, but honestly thought it was just an extra hassle.  What's wrong with the yellow?  Is that where the cholesterol is?

I went through this with sweet potatoes and whole grains.  Once I understood how these foods were processed in my stomach, in my body, in my blood, it made it easier to avoid sugar & fat.  I began to understand why I feel so horrible after a Chinese buffet binge--which was never really very often at all but a fine example of mixing sugar, fat and waaaaaay too much of either.


One of my favorite websites:
http://nutritiondata.self.com
Type in a food--fresh, famous, packaged, whatever.  Viola!  Nutritional data, glycemic index info for those of you with diabetes, vitamin & nutrient info--you name it.  And it's all very easy to look at.

I just scrambled up a few egg whites & was wondering why.  I went to my fave site, typed in Egg Whites and a few minuets later looked up the info on plain old chicken eggs.  And I was correct.

Upon my discovery that egg whites have virtually zero fat, I felt a little better about seasoning mine with full fat cheddar (is there any other kind?)  But I thought I could also get creative and dump in some Ranch Yogurt.  I'll put a pin in that.  I sure do like cheese!  And yes, the yellow of the egg is where the cholesterol is, and there's plenty to be had.  Although a little is not a terrible thing as long as it's done in moderation.

I was skeptical the first time I tried egg whites.  I figured there'd be no taste.  Here's a neat little tip:  IT TASTES EXACTLY THE SAME!  And you can have a lot more of it, even allowing for the fine things in life such as full fat cheddar.

No comments:

Post a Comment