Thursday, April 14, 2011

5-Hour Jittery

I'm not a fan of energy drinks.  I had one, once at work.  I zipped around like a crazy person for about two hours, came home and fell into a coma.  Another time, I got a Slurpee without knowing it was an "energy" Slurpee.  Everyone said I was talking a lot and really fast.  I have no recollection of that event.

Today I was desperate.  I'm running on very little sleep and it's my own fault.  It's weeks like this that make me wish there were more hours in the day.  (Dad said if that were true, you'd only be a work for more hours per day)

The ads for 5-Hour Energy claim that their drink has as much caffeine as a single cup of coffee.  I typically drink cups at a time so I never figured this drink would do much for me.  But, as I said, I was desperate.  I dragged my feet next door to the 7-11 and set a berry flavored bottle on the counter for a whopping THREE DOLLARS! 

Back at my station, I opened the tiny bottle and took a sip.  It was so nasty, I coughed.  I chugged it as fast as I could but still tasted it an hour later.  I examined the bottle.  Lots of B Vitamins and a little caffeine.  Well, I take a B-Complex each morning and caffeine is a known food group in my family so I didn't expect much.

Sadly, I was right.  After twenty minuets I felt nervous and anxious.  I was still super sleepy, only now I was jittery.  My recommendation?  Save your money. 



Coming up....Hopefully I can get back on track writing about nutrition and finding healthy foods that don't taste healthy.  The kitchen has had me side tracked for a while....

No comments:

Post a Comment