Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Kitchen Part Two

We did a lot of back & forth when it came to counter top tile.  I was especially excited about getting rid of the current pink counter tops but could not come to a decision.  We found some beautiful blue glass tile but it wa sa little pricey.  Shawn said we should get what we want and enjoy it.  I'm looking at this house as a starter home and comparing prices in my head.  Though not very well, I've never been good at math.

Shawn had even brought this up.  "How attached are you to this house?" he asked.  Not at all, in fact.  There's too much that's just wrong with it, like the off centered window in the bedroom and the fact we can hear our neighbor from our bed.  And after Shawn pointed out that the blue tile might clash with the floor, we'd need a new floor of course.  Of course.  This was getting out of hand.  The floor was fine, nothing wrong with it.  I actually like the floor because it's got so many lines & colors in it, you can get away with sweeping only every two months & no one would even know until they walked on it barefoot.  Of course, I don't do that all the time!

What I mean is that I can "like" the floor.  It all made me realize how temporary all this is, much like anything on this ball of dirt.  Why spend a small fortune on beautiful blue tile made of glass, a new wood floor when we plan to move out in a few years?  Really, I just wanted to paint the walls & get a ceiling fan!  I vetoed the blue tile.  A line had to be drawn.  I am the keeper of hte money, the bills.  I am a saver.  Some have even called me "cheap".  It's painful for savers to spend money.  It really hurts!

We'd spotted some beautiful tile, I then spotted the price tag of $7 per tile.  I exclaimed, "Seven dollars--RUN AWAY!  RUN AWAY!"  We laughed as other couples looked at us like, "Why are they haven't so much fun?  Don't they know how much work this is?"

I felt like the husband finding more shopping bags in the closet.  I kept a mental tally of everything, and a written tally with receipts by the computer at home.  I'm above admitting, I could feel a slight panic attack coming up in the middle of the home improvement store. 

I really wanted a blue & white kitchen but that would require a new floor, more money, more time--and why should it matter if I don't want to die in the house?  This is all fading away.  This is not my home, it's merely a temporary setting that we're trying to make more useable (and pretty) for the meantime.

My mansion in Heaven will have a fantastic blue & white kitchen with hardwood floors, more cabinets than I need, and more counter space than you could add up.  And everything here will be rotting, on its way to a landfill like everything else we create, buy, and place on a shelf.

Although, I do kind of hope I can get my dream kitchen before I go to Heaven!  Ha, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment