Monday, April 25, 2011

Yes, I'm A Dog Person

On Friday, I happened to get off work early & met Shawn leaving home for lunch.  He said Prissy, our dog, wouldn't even lift her little head for him.  Our vet hospital was closed for Good Friday so I decided to wait it out till Saturday.

That night, we lifted her up ontot he bed & watched a movie.  I knew she hadn't eaten.  I thought maybe that lost tooth was bothering her so I paused the movie to cook up some egg whites.  Prissy loves eggs and I thought it would be a good, soft meal.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the house, I heard Prissy cry out.  The vet's voice rang through my head, "It could be a slipped disc."  I hurried to the bedroom and calmly asked what had happened.  Shawn said Prissy went to look back at him & just cried.  I knew.

I looked it up on the internet and Prissy had most of the symptoms of a back back or disc.  More common on small dogs, pressure is put on the discs when they jump up & down the furniture.  The discs act as cushions between the vertebra, or each individual backbone.  After years of rubbing and exaggerated pressure, the cushions wear out causing the vertebra to grind against each other--thus causing severe pain.

I was calm reading this until I began to summarize it aloud for Shawn.  He was already in tears and by the time I finished reading, I was a sobbing fool.  The article explained how this can eventually lead to paralysis and that surgery is really a last resort because that too can lead to paralysis.  Neither of wants a paralyzed dog, or to keep an animal in pain for our sake.

Tears flowing freely, we agreed if it came it to, the best thing would be to let her go.

We must have cried all night and the next morning.  My goodness, we've had this dog about as long as we've been living on our own.  She's always there.  She stays right by my side when I'm sick & loves me unconditionally.  She loves me without conditions--something you cannot get from a human.  She never talks back and she even shows concern for other dog which is a mean little snot.  But Prissy loves her too.

The next morning, we waiting for the vet and cried the entire time while we waited.  I explained to Dr. Gage what was going on and she ha us place Prissy on the floor.  "Does she always hunch like that?"
"No," we answered in unison. 
Dr. Gage explained she'd like to do a full blood work to make sure it wasn't the kidneys, x-rays, and so forth.  "I don't care what it costs!" I cried.

Later, as we sat in the waiting area for the results, a woman who'd been there almost as long as we had, tried talking to us.  I never looked at her.  For all I cared, no one in that room existed and I cried in front of all of them.  I kept my gaze on Prissy as I rubbed her ear.  The woman told a very long story about she & her husband got their new dog, asked if Prissy was OK.

Shawn, trying to be nice, shook his head and tears began to pour from his face.  The woman explained they had lost their dog about a year and a half earlier; she got to where she couldn't walk.  I just wanted the woman to stop talking.  She kept talking, talking, talking.  I don't need to hear about how you lost your dog when mine is barely walking and wagged her tail in many days.  Shut up!  Can't you see us bother here in the corner, crying openly in public, trying to keep to ourselves?

There were others in the waiting area.  In my mind, I begged the woman to speak with someone else.  The idea that we might leave without our dog had been in my mind all morning.  What would I do with her toys?  Her collar?  I could not bear the thought but it was there, lingering.

The waiting was the worse part of all.  I prayed Dr. Gage would come through that door and we could get away from this woman.  I"m sure she is a very sweet person, bored as she waited for her turn.  But we are not the ones ripe for conversation, alright?

Finally, Dr. Gage appeared.  "Well, I have some news!" she exclaimed.
She showed us the results of Prissy's blood work and said she has never, ever seen such health in fourteen year old dog.  Everything was perfect, she said.  "Whatever you've done over the years, you've been doing something right!"

I think we both swelled with a bit of pride right then, especially me since I bathe, feed, water, and chase Prissy around the house for exercise.

Of course, after viewing the results of the blood work, we were shuffled toward the back to view some x-rays on a large computer screen.  Dr. Gage said a lot of things.  I really was paying attention but so much was said and I was so emotional that I cannot remember exactly everything, or even most of what Dr. Gage said.

Basically, two discs are messed up.  There are bone spurs in one the vertebra.  Prissy should not be allowed to jump, at all, period.  She was given a steroid shot, straight to her leg vein.  "This should make her a little....euphoric," said Dr. Gage.  To be blunt, my little dog was downright stoned.  The next day, we were to begin with steroid pills, Prednisone to be precise.

Dr. Gage explained our options & said surgery would be the absolute last thing to do.  She really didn't recommend it at all.  She wanted us to call on Monday to see how the weekend went.  Besides the steroid pills, Prissy had to be given a liquid medication to ease the tummy trouble associated with the steroids.  To also help with stomach issues, Prissy was put on Science Diet ID canned food.  This is the very same food she was on after her stomach surgery, so many years ago so I wasn't sure she'd eat it.  We took one can for now.  Twice a day, she gets the liquid one hour before the pill.  I cut a pill in half and crush it into some food.

Besides all this, Prissy is still getting ear meds for her ear infections.  Quite frankly, our kitchen counter looks like a pharmacy shelf!



Dr. Gage said we'd see results by Monday.  Oh, and she also commented on how gentle Shawn was with Prissy.  I think this doctor had no trouble seeing how much we love and need this little dog.

Once home, Shawn sat with Prissy as she slept in our bed.  I ran off to the bank & to pick up more canned dog food (she did eat some!).  I was exhausted.  I never understood what is was about constant crying that makes you feel so drained.  All I wanted was to sleep.

Shawn sat with Prissy to make sure she didn't jump off our bed and I slept about an hour.  Throughout the day, Prissy slowly, gradually improved.  The next morning, I was doing dishes and she stood at my feet, looking up at me and wagging her tail!  Late morning, she stretched out and pushed her legs against my body.  She had been very weak in her hind legs, a symptom of disc problems so this made my heart flip.  Earlier, I'd picked her up to take her to the grass outside and she fought to get free from me.  Prissy's legs pushed against my arm!

We traded Easter dinners with our families so one would be home to stay with Prissy.  When I went to my folks' house, I was strangely transported to a world where there was no worry or upset.  Even though Prissy was slowly acting like more herself, I was still concerned.  The constant chatter from my family members kept me preoccupied from my anxiety.

Today, after I got home, I called Dr. Gage.  I told her briefly how Prissy had improved dramatically ever since that first shot.  "OH GOOD!  I'M SO HAPPY TO HEAR THAT!!!"  Dr. Gage was excited.  I went over a few questions with her.

After the 2 weeks of steroids are complete we may never see symptoms again.  Or, it could recur and we'll do steroids again.  It's such a small dose, Dr. Gage it wouldn't hurt Prissy.  Doggie steps for the foot of the bed are a big no-no.  Dr, Gage was strict on this, saying that we needed to get a ramp if this is a place where she may be trying to jump.

Of course, Shawn said he would build one just as soon as he could.  The main thing now is that we have to keep the dogs from jumping.  As soon as we'd gotten home on Saturday, we'd lined the couch with boxes.  Lucy has a favorite chair she climbs to keep watch on the streets.  She seems perturbed that she can not reach her spot.  Well, I'm sorry for that but her knees pop like an old man's as it is.

I cannot describe how I felt after speaking with Dr. Gage.  I did of course, call Shawn & explain everything to him.  The mental anguish that I felt has been lifted and perhaps we've got a few good years ahead with our companion.

Tommorow, I go back for a second round of breathing tests to see if I really do have a mild case of emphysema and hopefully I can snag some free samples of this medication I'm on.  We're gonna need it!
I tried & tried to get a good photo, but she kept walking toward me, wanting to be under my feet.  I gave up.  I finally got this one in the hallway after about 15 tries.

No comments:

Post a Comment