Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Kitchen Part 4

When you see this picture you may wonder why I have such a fat complex.  I blame my mother for that.  Ha, ha!  The sanding is done & I really ought to throw these contact lenses in the garbage.  Did you hear me?  I said the sanding is done!  Whooppee!

If you can notice behind the plastic, I'd left my plants there.  I have some herbs I'd grown--the first time in my 30 years on this planet that I've actually kept something green, let alone grown something from a seed.

What was I thinking?  The cilantro may not make it but I'm OK with that.  I hate cilantro anyway.  Shawn taught me how to texture the walls so he could get started on the sink.  He said I was doing a really great job.  I didn't think it was such a hard thing to learn, just boring as boring can get.

With slippery sheet rock mud from the tips of my fingers to the base of my wrist, Shawn hollered at me from under a cabinet.  "Hold this faucet in case the sink falls on me!"  So grabbed the faucet with my muddy, slick hands and prayed to God it held.  Shawn later admitted that he should have undone the supply lines first but it all worked out.  As we lifted it out of the hole in the counter top Shawn exclaimed, "We have to life at the same time!"
"I'm trying Shawn!" I snapped.
Later, when we were exhausted and to the point of everything being funny, I asked him how he expected me to hold up a sink that weighed 300 pounds.  With hands that slick I said, "If it had fallen you'd have just died and I have to live with that.  I'd have to live with the fact that I let a 300 sink fall on my husband's head!"  We just laughed & laughed.
"And when you said we have to lift at the same time, I think my side was heavier than yours.  I don't what your side weighed, but mine was pretty heavy!"  We just laughed & laughed.

This was my floating cabinet.  This was as satisfying to me as it was for Shawn when he knocked out the Headache Cabinet that just floated next to the garage door.   Ahhhhhhhhh.....

No, it's not lit.  I told him after this is all done, this is another, official Non-Smoking Room.  I'll have him down to two rooms now & he won't smoke in the bedroom when I'm home.  Though the bed smells like an ashtray took a poo, I'll tell you what.  When Shawn started laying tile, I got the heck outta Dodge.  I'm terrible at math and I decided to go run some errands.  I saw this as perfect oppurtunity to wash the bedding at the laundromat and it just so happens they have a working sink so I could scrub the drywall from my hands.

With the tile adhesive setting up, we haven't showered and I'm drinking water from a gallon jug.  Last night, maybe due to exhausted, Shawn just went on & on about how sorry he was that he didn't do this sooner.  I told him it was all OK and that I'm grateful it's happening now.  "No, you deserve this, I shoulda done this a long time ago," he said with much remorse.
"Well, it's hard top come by time & money," I said.
"I shoulda made time.  I'm so sorry I didn't do this sooner."

We finally went to bed at 11:30.  I brushed my teeth over a clean butter tub (Blue Bell margarine, 60 calories per tablespoon) and laid down in blankets and sheets that smelled delishes.  Not one to go for very long without a shower, I scratched my greasy head & reminded myself to change my underwear when I got up in the morning.  I also reminded myself to remind Shawn that the outside faucet & the bathtub faucet were open.  At least I think that's what he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment