Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Kitchen Part Three

Shawn floated the unfinished sheet rock--all that means is that he smeared mud over the imperfections, nail holes, etc.  It was my job to sand it down before he could texture it.  To me, this seems unnecessary but he said you could still see the smear lines under the texture so it must be sanded down.  I just do what I'm told.

We have a hide-away door that pulls out from the middle of the wall leading to the living room.  Our intention was to close the door to keep dust from landing on every surface in the living room and possibly giving Shawn's small bird an asthma attack.  HA HA!  (I hate that bird anyway.  Poops, literally, every 10 minuets)  We discovered that we had inadvertently nailed the door in when we had pounded in old nails to make the wall smooth.  That was a process!  Shawn got it opened up, pulled the door out, then closed it again.  "I don't know why I closed it!" he exclaimed.  But luckily, he got it opened again.

Sanding was miserable because of the dust.  I have asthma and wear contact lenses so I could not breathe or see.  Five minuets in, Shawn strapped a respirator my face and I began to panic.  I could not inhale!  I felt like I was suffocating!

He removed the mask quickly as he could but it felt like several minuets.  I ran to the dollar store & returned with paper masks.  Of course, today I will get wise and tie a bandana around my head.  Sanded sheet rock mud creates an odd texture when mixed with sweat.

I'll be glad when the sanding portion is done.  I don't care about sweeping bits of paneling, painting, scrubbing mud from the floor, but this dust has got to go!

I know it'll be worth it in the end.  I just wan tto get this sanding business done, cleaned up and just be freakin' done with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment