Sunday, June 26, 2011

Attack of the KIller Dust Bunnies

I had read in a couple different magazines about the dust that accumulates in our homes.  By these publications, I was told that a whopping 90% of the dust that lands on furniture surfaces comes from our shoes.  I find this ridiculously hard to believe. 

If I were walking in with sneakers that looked like I had just dragged them through the inards of a vacuum cleaner bag, then sure, I could buy that.  I am sure I bring in a little dirt, much bacteria and a bit of dust on my shoes, but ninety percent?!

Come on.  If you could see my ceiling fans, you'd be wondering too, how 90% of the dust adhered to the blades came from my shoes.  How could the dust on the bottom of my shoes get all the way up there?  And why does it attach itself to the blades likes there's some kind of glue there?  Those blades are turning pretty much all the time; how does the dirt even stick to it?  This is one of those mysteries like how does my arm hair know that I've cut it and it should should growing again.  I feel like this is another one of those things I'll never understand until the day I die and I can ask God all these annoying questions.

Certainly, He must find it amusing that I actually spend time wondering what triggers my arm hair to grow and how dirt sticks to a turning ceiling fan blade that is blowing downward. 

I had also once heard that a large amount of the dust in the house came from dead skin cells.  Alright, that's just kind of gross, but I still have a hard time beleiving that all the dirt behind the TV came from my body shedding dead skin.  If I were behind the TV, having a party everyday, maybe.  I could buy that.  But the truth is I actually never find myself sitting behind the TV or even anywhere near the thing as I have a remote control that I can use from 15 feet away.  So please tell me how that inch thick layer of dirt came from my skin (or shoes) and settled on every possible surface in the house. 

I have stuff in a closet that is dusty.  The closet is rarely opened.  I look in that closet only about twice a year because I don't want to be crushed to death by the stacks of junk inside.  The stuff on top of other stuff has a thin layer of dust on it.  Am I to believe that dust--contained within a space my sneakers have never been--came from the bottoms of my shoes?!  Or maybe it was just a dry skin day the last time I went in the closet and I shed so much that I left an entire layer of dusty DNA on everything in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment