Saturday, June 18, 2011

Highs and Lows

I accompanied Shawn to his follow up appointment yesterday.  When I got off work, I had just enough time to swing by Petco before I went to the clinic.  Shawn was laughing at me.  He could not believe I had actually purchased dog toothpaste.  I had a hard time believing it myself.

"Well, it's cheaper than the hundred dollars they want for cleaning Lucy's teeth and I hate to see her get anesthesia; she's so little," I said.  Shawn did agree about all that.  We'll see how well he still agrees when he has to hold Lucy as I attempt an at-home impromptu teeth cleaning.  And, PS--the lumps seem to be shrinking.  Hoorah!  God did hear my cries.

All of Shawn's blood work was perfectly fine.  The doctor admitted that he didn't know exactly what happened when Shawn's vision suddenly went blurry and he got confused and dizzy.  "We could do a jillion tests and still not know," the doc said.  Of course he did say that if it happened again, it would be cause for concern and a round of a jillion tests.  Personally, I think Shawn was just having a meltdown from the stress and not being able to deal with the stress.

I asked about cholesterol.  This was scheduled for next week as Shawn had to fast for the test.  "If it's sky high, I've got news for you," I announced to Shawn.  'We're cutting back on those french fries!"  Not that I've haven't been trying to do this already

Shawn's mood swings are out of control and he's been taking the bat to me most recently, so to speak.  "I've been like this with everybody," he said.  "I'm not everybody!" I returned.  We talked a good bit about this because he's been quite hurtful toward me.  He admitted that he's been going into a rage over "things that don't matter, stupid stuff."

"I KNOW!" I said.  Boy, do I know.  Mom suggested to me that Shawn have his thyroid checked, which of course is something I didn't consider at the doctor's.  Duh-duh.  Dad was like this a while back.  He'd become almost hateful and that was so not Dad.  Dad has been calm, cool, mellow.  He just kinda goes with it and blows stuff off.  Almost overnight he'd become a woman on her worst period ever.  He was snapping at everyone, VERY grouchy and downright mean over the slightest irritations.

Dad had also gained a little weight very quickly.  His thyroid was out of whack and a tiny little pill corrected everything.  He even lost ten pounds without even trying. He and Mom get along great now!

Of course Shawn is not gaining weight.  He never gains weight, or gets a zit, or a crazy craving for cake.  So not fair.  He's never been cool and mellow, but he is menopausal currently.  I gotta call the doc and see is a thyroid test can be added.  At least his blood pressure was normal.  That's a plus.

As for myself, on certain days I can actually hear the voice of Joyce Meyer in the recesses of my brain.  "The best thing Dave ever did for me was to stay calm during my fits."  Sometimes I tell the voice to shut up, sometimes I say to myself, "I will not let this bother me or ruin my day."  In this current scenario, if I am supposed to play the role of Dave and Shawn is supposed to be Joyce....We're gonna wind up killing each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment