Thursday, June 9, 2011

Attention: Vinegar Kills Weeds?

I read in a magazine that vinegar is an awesome weed killer.  I was skeptical.  Any Round-Up fan would be.  Round-Up fries EVERYTHING in it's path or even down wind.

We have these stupid vines in the backyard that climb the wall and take over the grass.  If their under control, their actually pretty.  But you cannot keep them under control.  The dogs were always getting tummy aches so I decided it may be those vines.  The leaves look like a type of ivy.  Ivy is bad for dogs, upsets their bellies terribly.  Dogs have a tendency to chew on grass when their tummies are funky so I figured with the vines starting to grow into the grass, they might be eating it.

After we lost Prissy, I decided I could not and would not spray half the yard with Round-Up weed killer.  I couldn't imagine if Lucy ate any of that.  I spent an afternoon pulling up as much as I could and dumped over a gallon of straight, undiluted vinegar over all of it.  After a few days, it didn't look like anything was happening.

It's been about three weeks since I'd saturated the overgrown area with vinegar.  Many of the leaves that survived my wrath have withered and turned brown.

Hmm.  I may be on to something here.  On my shopping list is another gallon of vinegar.  It too shall be dumped over what has survived and we shall see if vinegar can really be called a safe, natural weed killer.

Wonder if it'll work on the dreaded Sumac in the alley?
On second thought, I think I'll just leave that be.  The last time I got involved with Sumac, I swelled up like I had a peanut allergy and had just visited the Jiffy factory for a grand tour.  I like to breathe, you know.  Breathing is good.

What's interesting is that I can see exactly where the vinegar landed on each individual leaf (the brown spots within the green, if you can see it).  Anyone out there know what this is?  It doesn't make me itch when I get near it so it can't be too bad.  There was enough vines to hide a few wasp nests however.  Oh, joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment